KNOWLEDGE RESOURCE CENTRE (KRC)
NPL Knowledge Resource Center (KRC) has been providing information and IT support to researchers for R & D pursuits. Over the years, it has continuously strive to enhance modernize IT infrastructure in the lab and to further develop its domain with a rich collection of scholarly documents, especially in the field of Physical Sciences and related streams.
Being the scientific support division of CSIR-NPL, KRC serves the NPL community with vide range of services like Reprographic service, Electronic Document Delivery service, Inter Library Loan service, Reference service, Literature Search service, Computing & Network service, Software and end-user support service etc.As far as operation part is concerned, most of the in-house operations in KRC are fully automated that supports the Information System created with the help of Libsys software. Further, the vide spectrum of KRC services also includes the development of Institutional Repository (IR@NPL) and management of critical servers and security solutions within CSIR-NPL.
In addition NPL-KRC Configures and Manages:
• CSIR-NPL website (http://www.nplindia.org) on Internet.
• Wi-Fi zone within KRC.
• Access to more than 6000+ electronic resources.
• Access to Intranet edition of Indian Standards.
• National Knowledge Network (NKN) internet connectivity of 100Mbps and can be upgraded to 1 Gbps.
• Implementation & regular maintenance of the institutional GOI biometrics attendance system.
• Implementation & regular support for the NIC mail services at mail.gov.in of the institute level.
• A 128-core computational cluster to facilitate high performance computing for research.
• In-house set up, configuration and system administration of Linux based servers including mail, web, DHCP, DNS, Intranet, database and data back-up to facilitate IT services.
• A gigabit fiber optics backbone network solution at 23 locations across the NPL campus and providing CAT6 based ethernet LAN to connect ~ 1000 network based devices i.e. computers, servers, laptops, IP cameras, attendance machines.
• Security solutions including a Unified Threat Management (UTM) system for multi-level firewall, anti-virus and anti-spam solutions.
• A Radio Link is established between NPL-Campus and NPL-Colony for JRF Hostel Network. JRF hostel is equipped with complete wireless technology solution and devices such as Omni Directional/Directional antennas and various Wi-Fi devices in different modes and configuration.
• Wireless solutions are provided to various Departments/Divisions/Sections in NPL campus.
• Using Intra Laboratory collaboration concept, hosting of few important backup services and institutional website hosting at CSIR-NISCAIR’s Data Center.
• In-house development of automated software solutions using open-source technologies for reservation of sophisticated instruments and personal inventory record.
• ERP Data Center with 20 TB SAN, database and application servers to connect CSIR-NPL to the CSIR-ERP network.
• Implementation of CSIR-Enterprise application to increase the work efficiency and transparency.
• IT support for implementation of Time dissemination of “Indian Standard Time” (IST) Project. (Maintained by CSIR-NPL)