- Profile Name
- Dr. Omvir Singh Panwar
- Current Designation
- Chief Scientist
- Residential Address
DG-II/285D, Vikaspuri, New Delhi-110018
- Telephone 1
- Date of birth
- Brief Biodata
- DP/DU No. and Name: Polymorphic Carbon Thin Films Group (D1.02)
Degree Subject University/Institute Year High School. Hindi,Eng,Math,Phy& Chem U.P.Board 1971 Intermediate Hindi,Eng,Maths,Sc&Bio U.P.Board 1973 B.Sc.Hons. Phys, Maths & Stat Meerut Univ 1975 M.Sc. PHYSICS (IInd Position) Meerut Univ Ph.D. Electrical Properties of pure and doped glasses of As-Ge-Te Panjab Univ. Chandigarh 1980
- Academics/Research Experience:
Research FieldInstitute ( in Insia/Abroad)
Jan.1976 to Jan.1980
Amorphous semi- conductors (Chalocogenide glasses)
Physics Dept., Panjab University, Chandigarh-14
Jan.1981 to Jan. 1982 Amorphous semiconductors (Chalocogenide glasses) Thin Film Laboratory, Dept. of Physics, I.I.T. Delhi
Jan.1982 to Jan. 1982
Hydrogenated amorphous silicon films
Thin Film Laboratory, Dept. of Physics, I.I.T. Delhi
Senior Scientific Officer
Oct. 1987 to June 1988
Amorphous/ micro- crystalline silicon TFTs
Microelectronics and Electrical Engg., Trinity College , Dublin-2 ( Ireland )
88 May-June 1988 Crystallised Amorphous/ microcrystalline silicon TFTs Department of Electrical and Electronic Engg, The Queen's Univ. of Belfast , Belfast-9 ( U.K. ) Honary Research Fellow 2001 May 2001 to July 2001 Carbon based materials for field emission Engineering Dept., Cambridge University , Cambridge CB2 1PZ , England Raman Research Fellow 83-88 Feb. 1983 to Jan. 1988 Hydrogenatated Amorphous silicon films and alloys Thin Film Divison, NPL, New Delhi Scientist B 88-93 Feb. 1988 to Jan. 1993 Hydrogenatated Amorphous silicon films and alloys and devices (Solar Cells, TFTs, OASLM, X-ray and Neutron Detectors) Thin Film and Amorphous Materials Group, NPL, New Delhi Scientist C 93-98 Feb. 1993 to Jan. 1998 Hydrogenatated Amorphous silicon and diamond like carbon films and devices ( Solar Cells, TFTs, OASLM, X-ray and Neutron Detectors, Field Emission, Tribological coatings) Thin Film Terchnology Group, NPL, New Delhi Scientist EI 98-04 Feb. 1998 to Jan. 2004 Amorphous silicon, tetrahedral amorphous carbon films and devices( Field Emission, Tribological coatings) Thin Film Terchnology Group, NPL, New Delhi Scientist EII 04 to 09 Feb. 2004 to Jan. 2009 Amorphous / microcrystalline silicon, tetrahedral amorphous carbon films and devices ( Solar cells, Field Emission, Tribological coatings) Plasma Processed Materials Group, NPL, New Delhi Scientist F 2009 to May 2012 Feb 2009 to May 2012 Amorphous / microcrystalline silicon, tetrahedral amorphous carbon films and devices ( Solar cells, Field Emission, Tribological coatings) Amorphous & Micro-crystalline Silicon Solar Cell Group, NPL, New Delhi Scientist G June 2012 to Date June 2012 to Date Amorphous/ Microcrystaline/ Nano silicon, Tetrahedral amorphous carbon, Amorphous Carbon with embedded nanocrystallites (field emission, tribological and biomedical applications, Synthesis of graphene by filtered cathodic vacuum arc and MWPECVD techniques and graphene based devices (Transparent conducting coating, super capacitor, field emission and battery Polymorphic Carbon Thin Films Group, Physics of Energy Harvesting Division, NPL, New Delhi -12 Chief Chief Scientist
2 years (one year demonstration in M.Sc. Hons lab at Panjab University, Chandigarh and One year demonstration to Engineering undergraduates at Trinity College, Dublin-2, Ireland).
Date of Joining NPL:01/02/1983
No. of Publications:
SCI Journals Conference/ proceedings Books Total 80 55 40 175
- No of Patents/ :1
Current Activity :
- Preparation, characterization and measurements of undoped and doped tetrahedral
amorphous carbon (ta-C ) films deposited by filtered cathodic vacuum arc
technique and Amorphous carbon thin films having embedded nanocrystalltes by
the modified arc based techniques.
- Field-emission in DLC/ta-C films, nanoclustered, nanocomposite, nano tubes, graphene etc.
- Micro and nano silicon, Nano carbon, Carbon based nano structures etc.
- R D on Thin Films Solar cells (amorphous/ microcrystalline silicon films and HIT Solar cells).
- Synthesis of graphene by FCVA and MWPECVD techniques and graphene based devices
- Preparation, characterization and measurements of undoped and doped tetrahedral
- Honours and Award :
- Merit Scholarship from July 1969 to June 1971.
- Bursary Scholarship from July 1971 to June 1973.
- National Scholarship from July 1973 to June 1975.
My `Biographical sketch' has been included in the following:
3.Current position and Address: Chief Scientist and Head Polymorphic Carbon Thin Films Group
Date of Birth :15/03/1954
- Marquis Who's Who in the World 14 (1997) ll06 and 18(2000 ), 31(2013)published from 121 Chanlon Road , New Providence , N.J. 07974 ( USA ).
- Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering 4 (1998), published from 121 Chanlon Road , New Providence , N.J. 07974 ( USA ).
- Dictionary of International Biography, 26 (l998), 27 (1999) and 28 (2000), published from International Biography Center , Cambridge CB2 3QP ENGLAND.
- International Man Of the Year 2000 – 2001 in Dictionary of International Biography, published from International Biography Center , Cambridge CB2 3QP ENGLAND .
- Best Citizens of India in the book entitled “ Honored best citizens of India ” published from New Delhi , 2000.
- Several Nominations in various titles by American Biographical Institute Inc., North Carolina (USA) and International Biography Center , Cambridge CB2 3QP , ENGLAND
- Raman Research Fellowship for the year 2001.
- MRSI Medal Award for the year 2011.
- Bharat Joyti Award for the year 2013
Any other information:
Membership of Professional Societies
- Semiconductor Society of India - Life member
- Materials Research Society of India -Life member
- Solar Energy Society of India -Life member
- Society of Scientific Values- Nominated Member
- American Nano Society- Nominated Member
Working/ Worked as:
- Referee in several International journal
- Member of Board in setting CSIR/UGC NET paper and evaluating answer sheets from 2004 to 2011.
- Member of Board of Studies in Physics at Harcout Butler Technological Institute Kanpur (U.P) from 2009-2011.
- Chairman, Project Advisory Committee(PAC) of DST to The Energy Research Institute, New Delhi from 2010 onwards
- External Member of Research Council (RC) of R & D Center at Central Electronics Limited (CEL) Sahibabad (U.P.) from 01 July 2012 to 31 March 2015
Ph.D. produced: One
M. Phil. Produced: One
M. Tech. dissertation : One
Supervising three Ph.D.Student and one Scientist
Some important achievements have been:
- Development of high efficiency a-Si: H based solar cells (11.3%, AM 1.5 , 100 mW/cm 2 on 1 cm 2 area) and fully integrated solar panels for the operation of pocket transistors (MNES project).
- Large area DLC coating of high IR transmission (85-90 %) and reduced - built up stresses. The material so produced was tailored for thermal imaging applications (project NAG DRDO) in the 8-12 mU range.
- DLC films prepared by saddle field fast atom beam source with extremely low stress (0.l-0.25 GPa) and high hardness (9-20 GPa) for the coating of blade edges.
- Large grains (up to 6400 A o ) and high performance TFTs (mobility 26-28 cm 2 /V sec) in low-temperature crystallized LPCVD and APCVD amorphous silicon films.
- High rate deposition of a-Si: H upto 18 A o /sec with good optoelectronic properties for the development of X-ray and neutron detectors and optically addressed spatial light modulators (OASLM).
- Indigenously designed and developed an S bend filtered cathodic vacuum arc (FCVA) system for the preparation of undoped and doped tetrahedral amorphous carbon (ta-C) films for the first time in the country. The system has also been modified for the deposition of undoped and doped amorphous carbon films embedded with nanoparticles.
- Synthesis of graphene by FCVA and MWPECVD techniques.
- Study of pure and doped tetrahedral amorphous carbon films deposited by S bend filtered cathodic vacuum arc process.
- Preparation, characterization and switching properties of pure and doped chalcogenide glasses (As-Ge-Te and Ge-Se-Te).
- Photocontraction effect in pure chalcogen and alloy films
- Profile Department
- Physics of Energy Harvesting
- Member for
- 7 years 23 weeks